Today, I will show you how to clean the grease in your microwave oven cavity in an environmental friendly way. The method that I will describe here does not use the environmental unfriendly chemicals that are common in every kitchen; it uses lemon and water only. That’s wonderful. If that is not enough, there is no need for scrubbing and scratching, just simple wiping.
Steps in Cleaning microwave using lemon or lemon juice.
1. Cut a lemon into two halves using a kitchen knife.
2. Put 1/2 litre (2 glasses) of water in a microwaveable bowl.
3. Place the lemon slices in the bowl containing water.
– If you do not have a lemon, you can add 2 or 3 spoons of lemon juice.
4. Place the bowl inside the cavity of microwave oven.
5. Switch on the microwave to oven to full power for 3- 5 minutes. Depending with the power of your microwave oven and the temperature of water, this can take longer time. Ensure the water boils. The longer the water boils inside the microwave, the better the results. You can try this a few times to optimise conditions for your microwave.
6. After the set time is over, allow the bowl to stand in the microwave for 5-10 minutes. This is important because the water and the bowl are very hot. Wait until they cool down. In addition, leaving the bowl inside the microwave oven cavity, it allows steam to soak more grease implying better results.
7. Remove the bowl from the microwave oven.
8. Dip a cloth in the water with lemon and use it to wipe the cavity of the microwave. Bravo!.
-If the microwave is not satisfactorily clean, repeat the above steps until it is impressive.
Advantages of this method.
– No use of detergents. It is environmentally friendly
-It is cheaper than buying detergents.
-Your microwave smells good.
-No fear of soap residues getting into your food during warming.
Ways to improve the results.
– Wipe the microwave with warm wet cloth to remove food particles before placing the bowl with water and lemon in the microwave oven.
Ways to prevent grease and other foods sticking in your microwave oven
-Always cover food when heating in a microwave. This reduces the amount of food stuck on walls.
Mechanism by which lemon helps to clean the grease in a microwave oven.
The citric acid in lemon juice helps breakdown the grease and its adherence hence easy to remove.